‘Tri-five Chevies’ & a Poncho

Last month we had the pleasure of attending the Rods and Rails exhibits in Perris, Ca. Four mid ‘50s GM sedans caught our eye, three Chevys and a Pontiac! This is their story.

Perris, California, Rods & Rails 2012: The City of Perris booth showing special shirts which were presented to all car owners in attendance. They held a benefit raffle during the event for local charities. The park-like area was filled with classic cars from Southern Cal. The site was the Orange Empire Railroad Museum which is filled with every type of vintage railroad equipment imaginable.

In the ‘50s, General Motors used the same basic body (Fisher Body Works) on most of its entire product line, much as they do today; although their product menu is greatly reduced since the 2008 recession.

GM built the Fisher Body plant in Flint, Michigan in 1919, and owned 60% of the operation until 1926 when they purchased the remaining 40%. Virtually all Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles & Buicks were produced there until 1984.

Undoubtedly the four cars presented here came from the same plant, and possibly the same craftsmen during the last half of the ‘50s.