« PREV. PAGE NEXT PAGE »

This shows the extreme things that can happen inside even a low RPM engine with 4.750” stroke. Things just aren’t straight anymore. This one stayed attached but was beat up by the rod that lost the rod cap.

A lesson learned in rebuilding our 632” Chevy

Anytime you start a tech story with photos of the broken parts it has the potential to be a learning lesson for other racers who have yet to experience that kind of “fun”.

Our Project 620 Ohio Crankshaft big-block Chevy engine was on its third season and had been rebuilt last October before we left for the Winter Series and the early Florida events in February and March. When it was freshened at that time we had it bored out and that made it a 632-inch engine. It was a basic rebuild in that we had everything magnafluxed and checked. The only thing we did not do was replace the rod bolts. Not sure why we didn’t, but I think it was an error.

When we started out the 2010 season the car was running great. My son Andy and Josh Kanselaar were driving good and they had reached three final rounds and one semifinal in the first four weeks. Then we ran into a little glitch in the plan. At the end of a burnout Josh felt the engine shake and he shut it off. I am very glad he was fast on the switch and the engine was coming down to idle. That helped limit the damage, as the engine had less time to destroy its internals. If it would have broken at the finish line, I am pretty sure this tech article wouldn’t exist as the engine would have been total junk.

We got the engine out and surveyed the damage. As you can tell in the photos, it wasn’t pretty, but the damage looked like it was fairly limited considering what happened.

« PREV. PAGE NEXT PAGE »